Fall 2017 FIU Registration and Pre-Requisites
Online- Registration Period
- Online- Registration Period: early November thru August 2017!!Students will not be able to register until their Immunization HOLD has been satisfied with FIU.
- NSE students have PRIORITY access to register online for Fall-term 2017. Please take advantage of this priority opportunity since course registration is not guaranteed and is based on availability! REGISTER NOW! You can change your schedule at any time until the end of Add/Drop in January!
- Students will not receive registration access for closed (full) courses. Students must have an active Panthersoft (MyFIU) account including a Panther ID number and password for online registration.
Students will register online via their MyFIU (my.fiu.edu) student-account for any undergraduate courses (1000-4000 level) in which DO NOT have any pre-requisites listed. Please check with the FIU undergraduate catalog to confirm any pre-requisites, http://catalog.fiu.edu/. You should email Jamie Perez if planning to take any courses with pre-requisites (instructions listed below). Please note, any courses within the 5000-level (i.e. FIU 5010) and above are Graduate-level courses. At FIU, NSE students are not eligible to enroll in Graduate-level courses.
Pre-requisites for Courses
If you are planning to register for any courses with a pre-requisite please email Jamie Perez (email@example.com) a list of those courses, including the five-digit course section number for each course. The five-digit course number will identify the course-section of your interest (For example: class #32123, section U01, Instructor John Doe, Tu,Th 2-3:15pm). Thereafter, our office will work directly with the appropriate academic departments to assign your registration permission for those specific sections, in which will allow you to register yourself online. Such courses may require departmental prerequisite verification/equivalency checks. Although you have sent in transcripts, your courses are not inputted into our system and your prerequisites will not automatically be recognized. Course descriptions can be retrieved from the online undergraduate catalog at http://catalog.fiu.edu/. Exchange students are responsible for providing adequate proof of pre-requisites with course descriptions and/or official transcripts from their home school in order to register for courses within their major of study.
Business and Accounting Courses
Business and Accounting Courses: Those students needing to enroll in business/accounting courses (including accounting, management, marketing, finance, real-estate, MIS, International business, HR management, business calculus, or business statistics) must follow the instructions below:
- Complete, sign and list selected FIU business courses on the FIU Registration form (attached to my email), including the 5-digit reference (class) numbers.
- Student’s home campus academic advisor or Dean’s signature is required on the add/drop form for approval.
- Students must return (via fax or email) their approved add/drop form to Jamie Perez. There are no guarantees that the section of your choice will be available, please provide alternate choices.
- Such forms will be processed by the FIU College of Business staff.
- Students may periodically check their online course schedule (via MyFIU student account) for verification of enrollment into selected business courses.
Important Business/Accounting Notes
- Once registration is processed for business courses, if students choose to edit their schedule, the above process must be repeated.
- Accounting Majors: All upper-level Accounting courses (ACG 4101: Financial Accounting I and higher) require an entrance exam which is only offered at FIU (in-person only).
- You may also visit the FIU College of Business web site at http://business.fiu.edu/undergraduate_academic_programs.cfm
Online Registration Instructions
Online Registration Instructions: Please visit the FIU registration website at http://my.fiu.edu (Panther ID# is not required to view the interactive class schedule). The Fall 2017 class schedule can be viewed by clicking on the interactive ‘class schedule’. We recommend that you take the online tutorials available on how to “sign up for classes” in order to familiarize yourself with our registration system (called Panthersoft). “Student Tutorials” to learn how to Add/Drop Classes can be found online: http://onestop.fiu.edu/Registrar/index.html. When choosing your classes, please remember that we have two main campuses—Modesto A. Maidique Campus (MMC) in South, Miami and Biscayne Bay Campus (BBC) in North, Miami.
How to view open class schedule/ Online Registration Steps:
*Tutorials:http://onestop.fiu.edu/new-students/sign-up/index.html#Add/Drop Classes Tutorial
- Go to myFIU (http://my.fiu.edu)
- Sign on to Panthersoft with your Panther ID and Password
- In the “Academics” box, click on “Search” to view Class Search Page
- Select term of interest (Fall 2017)
- Select session as “regular academic session”
- Input course information from the FIU catalog [catalog.fiu.edu or http://my.fiu.edu (in My Menu box)]. Example: ENC1101 (Freshman Composition), ENC = Subject and 1101 = Catalog Number
- Click on “Search” (you may want to use the additional criteria to limit your search, such as select campus)
- Click on the vertical scrollbar to view all the course sections (search results)
- Click the “Select Class” button to add the desired class to your schedule
- Click on the “Next” button to search for further classes
- When done searching, click on the “Finish Enrolling” button
- Click on the “My Class Schedule” button to retrieve your final schedule…pay attention to payment deadlines!
FIU Campus Locations: Exchange students may enroll for courses offered at both FIU campuses, Biscayne Bay and Modesto A. Maidique. Keep in mind that the travel time between the two campuses is at least 50 minutes driving, depending on traffic. The Golden Panther Express Shuttle is a bus service that runs approximately every hour between the two campuses, Monday through Friday, for a $5 round-trip fee.